Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temp.
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1. Mix together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine shortening, butter and brown sugar. Mix with an electric beater on high speed until fluffy.
3. Add the egg and molasses and beat some more. Then reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter baking sheets.
6. Form the dough into 1 inch balls then roll in sugar. Arrange on the baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.